Sunday 22 September 2013

Rewind a little...(part 3 - labouring at home)


Getting in the pool was sooo nice. I felt so relaxed, leant over the side resting between contractions, then moving my hips through the pain and getting hubby or the midwife to press on my lower back. I was feeling a bit sick but the midwife said I was breathing too quickly with each contraction and to do a nice long slow outbreath. The only way I could do that was to make a long humming noise as I breathed out and so thats what I did.

At 11am I was 4cm, though getting out the pool and having to lie on the sofa to be check was not fun. Contractions lying on my back and having to lie still were agony and so much worse than being on all fours and moving. I didnt care that I only got as far as the hall before stopping for a contraction, despite only wearing a bra. This was much to my husbands horror as he first tried to move me to the lounge and out of sight from the front door before giving up and just covering me with a towel as today of all days the window cleaners were here to clean the windows.

I started using gas and air and was managing quite well being in the pool, on all fours, moving my hips and humming through the contractions whilst someone pressed down on my lower back. I was checked again a few hours later and was 7cm but my heart rate was up and so was baby's. They monitored us for a while but it wasnt changing and after calling the hospital for advice it was agreed that we had to transfer to hospital.

I knew that that would mean all my coping mechanisms being taken away such as being mobile, on all fours rather than my back and being in the pool so I knew I would have to have loads more pain relief as those few contractions lying on my back whilst being examined were not fun. At 5pm an ambulance came, I got an injection of meptid for pain relief and off we went.

No comments: